NOTICE: If you are an undocumented student, click on the following link to access the WASFA based on a recent law passed in WA State offering state financial aid for Dreamers:
    HB 1079 Students
    On May 7, 2003, House Bill (HB) 1079 was signed into law by Governor Gary Locke. This new law allows students who have lived in Washington State for three years or more to be considered “residents” but only for purposes of paying tuition fees at Washington colleges and universities. HB 1079 does not change a student’s legal citizenship status. The new law means that HB1079 students qualify to pay tuition rates that all other resident students pay. To qualify, students must have: earned a high school diploma or equivalent (GED) from a Washington State high school; lived in Washington State for three years prior to receiving a high school diploma or GED, and lived continually in Washington since earning the high school diploma or GED, and can meet college or university admission requirements expected of all other students.

    The Affidavit that HB1079 Students are required to sign is a confidential statement verifying that he/she qualifies to pay resident tuition, and that he/she will seek legal permanent residency when legally permitted to do so. If an Affidavit is not provided or available, the 1079 Student should ask a trusted relative, friend, teacher, or counselor to request it from the institution he/she plans to attend, or the Affidavit is available on our website here. ** Click HERE to download the Affidavit**

    To enroll in college a student must go through the following steps:

    1. Complete the admission and scholarship applications from the college or university the student plans to attend.
    2. Fill out and sign the Affidavit. This should be available at any public highschool, college or university in the state.                                          
    3. Submit the admission and scholarship applications, and Affidavit to the college/university by the deadline stated by the institution.

                                                                                                                            -  WSU HB 1079 Finances



    Sea Mar Community Health Center's LEAP / 1079 Access Coalition www.hb1079.org
    Latino Education Achievement Project www.leapwa.org
    The College Board https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/get-started/for-undocumented-students/6-things-undocumented-students-need-to-know-about-college
Last Modified on October 14, 2022