• Frequently Asked Questions

    What is the district’s policy on bullying?

    See the district’s harassment, intimidation and bullying (HIB) policy and procedures (Spanish here).

    How do I report bullying?

    Please report any suspected harassment, intimidation or bullying (HIB) immediately to your school’s principal. You can also report a concern online. You can find the HIB policy on the district’s website here. If you don’t believe the issue was handled effectively, please contact Valerie Najera-Aragon, Executive Director of Teaching & Learning Elementary (K-5), at 509-543-6700, ext. 2025, Jennifer Kindle, Executive Director of Teaching and Learning Secondary (High School and Middle School) at 509-543-6700, ext. 6098, or Alice Amaya (HIB Compliance Offier), Executive Director of Student Supports, at 509-543-6727, ext. 7828.

    Why can’t I know what happens to the student who bullied my child?

    School staff members are expected to take action on any bullying report to ensure student safety. Such a report will typically initiate an investigation into the complaint. Once the investigation is complete, school staff members will determine what discipline is appropriate. Under state and federal confidentiality laws, your school principal is not allowed to discuss a student’s discipline with anyone other than that student’s parents or legal guardian so they may not be able to answer all your questions to your satisfaction. Please observe your child closely and communicate with him or her to be sure the bullying behavior has stopped. If it has not been resolved, please contact your principal and/or his or her supervisor immediately for further action to protect your child and his or her learning environment.

Last Modified on July 11, 2023