- Chiawana High School
- Competition Articles
Speech and Debate Team
2.22.2020 13 Speech & Debate Students Qualified for the State Tournament
This weekend, our custodian was too speedy for us and had the rooms locked before we were able to put desks back into place. I apologize for any inconvenience that caused you. Your thank you’s will be in your box if we used your room.
Now, on to the juicy stuff!
Thirteen students have qualified for the WIAA State Tournament in 21 events:
- Linh Truong: Informative Speaking, Program Oral Interpretation, Congressional Debate
- Saige Johnson: Informative Speaking, Impromptu Speaking
- Amy Walker: Program Oral Interpretation, Humorous Oral Interpretation
- Ali Pettey: Humorous Oral Interpretation, Dramatic Oral Interpretation
- Audra Totten and Linda Corona: Dual Interpretation
- Linda Corona: Dramatic Interpretation
- Audra Totten: Humorous Interpretation
- Lorena Vegas: Informative Speaking
- Asher Bland and Jayden Pettey: Dual Interpretation
- Asher Bland: Humorous Interpretation
- Jayden Pettey: Humorous Interpretation
- Dallin Cameron and Brett Prior: Dual Interpretation
- Brett Prior: Humorous Interpretation
- Annabelle Totten: Humorous Interpretation, Dramatic Interpretation
- Emma Brouns: Program Oral Interpretation
Speech is at University of Puget Sound on March 14; Congress is at UPS on March 20-21.
This past weekend was the Inland Empire National Qualifying Tournament of the National Speech and Debate Association. In addition to qualifying students for the National Tournament in Albuquerque this June, we were honored to give some special awards on behalf of the NSDA. Local recipients were KNDU anchor Tracci Dial as Communicator of the Year, Superintendent Michelle Whitney as administrator of the year, and Saige Johnson as Student of the Year.
Saige Johnson, 2nd year in a row in Informative Speaking.
Audra Totten and Linda Corona, 2nd year in a row in Dual Interpretation. (Third year in a row at nationals for both of them.)
Amy Walker in Program Oral Interpretation. (2nd year in a row at nationals.)
Annabelle Totten in Dramatic Interpretation.
Jordan Taber in Original Oratory
- Jayden Pettey and Asher Bland in Dual Interpretation
- Lorena Vegas in Informative Speaking
- Nadia Bachart in Original Oratory
- Emma Brouns in Program Oral Interpretation
- Idarli Ramirez Dubon in US Extemporaneous Speaking
Vicky Hyde, M.Ed.
- English Teacher
- Yearbook Adviser
- Accredited Speech and Debate Educator
- Head Speech and Debate Coach/
- National Forensics League Diamond Coach
- Distinguished Service Award Recipient
- NSDA Inland Empire District Committee
- Assessment Team Lead
- Chiawana High School
- Room F1220
- 8125 W. Argent
- Pasco, WA 99301
- (509) 543-6786 x5610